I was glad I could recall our prior experience of running in these kinds of conditions during the OKC Half several years ago, so I was much more prepared this time around.
The weather had been crazy all week so I wasn't surprised/mentally freaking out about the almost certain cold and rainy conditions for Saturday's race.
The race coordination had several hick-ups which lead to a late start and also all of the half marathon runners were led astray to start the race...resulting in most of us running almost a full half mile longer than needed.
This may not sound like a big deal...but if you've spent 2+ hours in 40 degree temperatures with a steady/hard rain for over 8 of those miles...it's sort of a sore spot for participants. Ok, at least this particular runner!
But I was aware something was off and watched my time on my Garmin when the race SHOULD have been over. :) I finished my 11th half marathon in 2:11:01! This is a full minute faster than last year. I had hopes earlier in my training for this to be even faster, but with today's conditions...I was still happy with my time.
Chad and the boys were there when I needed them most at the end of the race...cheering me on and making me laugh. And my wonderful, thoughtful husband had dry clothes, a towel, blanket, and flowers for me afterwards.
Time to eat some starburst jelly beans, celebrate the Easter Holiday and let some blood blisters heal on my poor toes due to my soaked socks for most of the race. Then it's 8 weeks to the Bill Snyder Highway Half Marathon!!!!!






No comments:
Post a Comment