
I have officially ended my first week of “training” for the Lincoln Half Marathon. And after much debate with my husband, I have conceded to following a training schedule. Maybe it was my lack of understanding when it comes to preparing for this kind of event, but I have had a hard time thinking I needed to follow a plan for some reason. For almost a year now, I have ran 5 days a week on a consistent basis. That should be enough, right?
Apparently I was wrong! And I have to admit that I have been pretty stubborn about this for quite some time. First off there is been the issue of time. It has been a pretty large sacrifice for me to block out just 25-30 minutes to run during the work week. Finding time to add anything else in has been next to impossible. Cardio is what I thought was most important for me, because I was wanting to burn calories in the most efficient way possible. This process seemed to work perfectly for me and I saw no reason to deviate from what was working for me.
After announcing my plans to run a half marathon, I was fortunate enough to have some great dialogue with a friend from high school who is now a physical therapist and avid runner. After several e-mails back and forth with Brenda, I have finally given in…..I need to follow a training schedule. Her expertise as a physical therapist and 15 years running experience was something I just couldn’t argue with. And of course….she said the exact things Chad has been telling me all along. I hate it when he is right! :)
Brenda and Chad have set me up with a good plan, now I just have to execute that plan. This means finding time where I thought there wasn’t anymore to work in things like lifting…..and yes I mean more than carrying around Collin in the evening! I have also had to re-work my thinking when it comes to my work-out schedule. I have accepted that I do not need to run 5 days a week, and it is important for me to cross train, and do some simple lifting to help with my strength and stamina. I certainly do not want to face burn out or an injury that would keep me from achieving my ultimate goal in May!!
Being a novice to any kind of weight lifting (other than what I know from my days as a Jazzercise instructor), I started the week tentatively when it came to lifting in the weight room. However, I was given some humorous and unexpected encouragement from some of the 8th graders who were also lifting in the weight room after school. A young man named Andrew let me know that I needed to get my knee closer to the ground while doing my lunges. When I smiled and rolled my eyes he simply stated “you’re really only cheating yourself if you don’t Mrs. Bunger.” Needless to say I got my knees closer to the ground after that! The next day two other 8th grade girls who were in the office came in to see my training plan and laughed with me about my sore legs from the squats and lunges I had did the night before.
Sore legs and all, I am ready to stick with my training program! I’m cutting back on running every day, focusing more on strength, and making the most out of my 4 run days. Tomorrow is my first “long run” of 4 miles. Since I have ran this distance on a consistent basis, I am ready…and now I am confident that this training will have me even more prepared for the weeks ahead as the mileage on my long run day continues to increase!
No comments:
Post a Comment