Monday, February 22, 2010

Rebellion

My partners for the 1/2 marathon....husband Chad and friend Shana


As of February 22nd it is now 69 days until the Lincoln Half Marathon! My Valentine’s Day present from Chad was a thoughtful card and our entry receipt for both of us in the race. So it is official….the money has been paid and we are registered to run 13.1 miles on May 2nd. I now have 69 days to train my mind and body for something I never would have considered attempting until recently.

This weekend Chad I and were able to run together on Saturday thanks to our new neighbors and friends down the block who recently moved who watched our boys. It was a treat to actually run with my husband for 4 of my 6.05 mile course. I have ran this distance before when I ran a 10K last December. However, after that race my entire left leg was killing me as I had to immediately do a quick stretch and get ready for Chad’s Christmas party for work. So for this mileage I was prepared to have the stretch and recover time needed afterward. I took the advice of my husband and decided to experience my very first ice bath after the run. This was a religious experience to say the least!!! But I have to admit that my legs felt great after this and more importantly, during my run on Saturday I felt like I could have kept going at the end of my 6 miles.

So adding this distance is going to be a piece of cake, right?! Wrong! What I wasn’t expecting was for different parts of my body to unexpectedly start rebelling against me! I’ve had to adjust my training schedule this week due to it being conference week at school (gotta love these two 13 hour days I have coming up!) My plan was to run an easy 2 or 2.5 miles on Sunday since I will not be able to do any training on Monday or Wednesday. However, starting Saturday night and continuing Sunday and into the day today I am now having issues with my left foot. This lends me to two questions….1) what is up with the left side of my body?! This seems to always be where my problems are….somewhere on my left leg, hip or now foot!! And 2)why does my body feel the need to rebel against any attempts I have at health, maintain a healthy weight and/or fitness?!?

I have been icing my foot at home and work as much as possible and obviously did no running or training on it yesterday. But now worry begins to creep into my mind…..from this point on I will be running further than I ever have each week. Is my body up for 7 miles this upcoming week and the additional miles I will add each Saturday before hitting my peak of 13 miles on April 12th?! The best training schedules in the world can be followed, but is my body truly made for this?

I guess I can only do two things while I ponder these questions…….ice and pray!!

1 comment:

  1. Continued support from me to you! Just know, you are already doing something that many people cannot do, including myself. More power to you!!!

    ReplyDelete