
My sister in law Christa and I after running the 5 mile turkey trot in Kearney over this past thanksgiving. She is also signed up to run the 1/2 marathon in Lincoln!!
Since my last post I have had good news and bad news. Since I can be pessimistic....I will start with the bad.
Bad news: After e-mailing with my PT friend Brenda, I took a week off from running. I continued to nurse a sore left foot and after running an easy 2.5 miles on it last Tuesday only to have the pain return that night....I knew her recommendations were correct and I needed to follow them. I also decided to call and make an appointment at the Orthopedic and Sports Medicine Clinic to have things checked out. I was pretty bitter about having to take the week off and have been upset about missing my 7 mile long run this past Saturday. Needless to say, I was anxious for this appointment today to hear if I could return to training or not!
I have been trying my best this past week to take care of my foot. I did lots of icing, and massaging with a tennis ball under my foot at work. The soreness has slowly gotten better so I did some x-training on the exercise bike at work both Monday and Tuesday night being sure to ice afterwards. I've had no pain exercising (or running for that matter) at all so I was encouraged by this....but again still wondering what the doctor would say today.
Good news: I have been cleared to start easing back into running! After going thru my first set of x-rays on my feet and left hip, I was diagnosed with some mild plantar facitis due to the fact that I have not been stretching my Achilles tendon (calf muscles) enough. Or really at all for that matter sometimes! I will continue to ice and again not push to hard too fast and hopefully be able to return slowly to my training schedule. It was good to hear there were no signs of a stress fracture or of any starting and I was given some good stretches to use to hopefully improve my condition.
The moral of this story for me was making time to stretch! This is hard for me to do after school with such limited time to get a run in before picking up Collin...but now I will make time and hope that as I look to run another 10K next weekend that I can get through that 6 mile run without another break down!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment