Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Scratch

We squeezed in our annual assembly of sugar cookies made from my Great Grandma Ammeter's recipe last week.  It is a process!  And it reminds me why I don't bake (or at least bake things from scratch) that often....

Thursday night we made the batter. I have to say, store bought sugar cookie dough doesn't compare to my Great Grandma's recipe! However,  I bake from scratch so little that last year I learned a very valuable (and basic) lesson.  Cookie dough must CHILL first before baking.  I guess this shows how often I buy that all too easy store bought Pilsbury Cookie Dough instead of making my own when I make any other type of cookies....

Friday night we cut out and baked all the cookies.  We did this in two shifts.  Collin took the first shift with me and we waited to finish the rest until Mitchell got home from basketball practice later.  I think we are still cleaning up powdered sugar from this.

And Saturday I made frosting from scratch!  Last year, I didn't make enough frosting.  This year I made enough for our family and the entire block to frost cookies!!!  So we had a great assortment of colors.  And yes....more mess!  Leo is still playing with/eating sprinkles off the floor no matter how many times I attempt to sweep them all up.

It's definitely a labor of love, but worth it in the end!  They are decorated with love (and with sprinkles applied liberally to many by Collin) and taste great! 

No comments:

Post a Comment