Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Summer Run

Shelly and I posing during our JCMS Support Staff vs. Administration Olympic Games
While this picture has nothing to do with running....it is still a lot of fun!

June 4th marked my official start to summer! After working our extended contract time...the counseling staff, other support staff members and the administration team all joined to together for some fun team building activity on our last day. We had a great time and this is sure to become an annual event at JCMS!

Our summer has gotten off to a very busy start. Mitchell has soccer on Monday and Wednesday nights as well as tball practice on Tuesday with tball games each Thursday night! June is packed...but we have already found plenty of time to make it to Cico pool with the kids to cool off and enjoy the water!

I had planned to run a 10K in Grand Island this past weekend before we attended a wedding reception for Chad's cousin. However, all plans were changed when Collin came down with an awful cold that eventually turned into a nasty sinus infection. Considering the poor little guy was miserable, he is not the best traveler anyway, and when he has a cold he tends to vomit in the car....we decided it was best to stay home. I'm looking into a few upcoming 5K's and know for sure I will be running a 5K in August with some ladies from work which should be very fun!

Running in the summer heat....ugh! I finally broke down and bought new shoes on Saturday as my feet were telling me they were needed. I stuck with my Mizuno Wave Inspires but this time got them in PINK!! I don't own much pink...in fact most clothing I do own that is pink is running gear...so this was a fun change up. It's always a blow to the pocket book...but I had put almost 300 miles on my previous pair!!

I decided to break in my new shoes with a 5.5 mile run on Sunday...it was only supposed to be in the 80's so I figured I could take out with no water on my run and be fine. Yikes! This was a huge mistake! At 2.5 miles the direct sun was totally tapping my energy...thank goodness I left my route up for Chad to see and he drove by with some water for me. It was a brutal run, so it looks like I need to start planning for these long runs a little differently during the summer heat. As much as I HATE to wear a running pack to carry water....looks like I'll be sucking it up from now on during any long weekend routes and carrying water.

We start our official training for our next 1/2 marathon on July 18th!!

No comments:

Post a Comment