Recently, I had a friend post an amazing (and funny) blog about all the things she said she would NEVER do in life....and now has done them. So I am stealing this brilliant idea for my blog as it got me thinking of my own moments where using the word "never" has come back to haunt me.
1. I will never teach elementary aged children
When I was in undergrad at UNK for a K-12 Band/Vocal Endorsement in Music Education, I was certain that I did not want to work with elementary students and would never take a job as an elementary music teacher. What was my first job right out of my undergraduate degree program? You guessed it....K-3 Vocal Music!!! And I loved it.
2. I will never work as a middle school counselor
After loving both my student teaching and first two years of education with elementary students. I set out to purse my master's in school counseling. During this time, I was sure I wanted to work as an elementary counselor and did not want to work with junior high students. What has been career for the past 8 years? A middle school counselor. And I love it!!!
3. I will never listen to country music
For many, many years I have not been a fan of country music. While I can appreciate all forms of music, I usually stuck to mostly top 40 stations in the car and I can usually sing along with most of the songs my students know in school. Even, when Chad started listening to country music....I resisted initially. But after finally conceding and going to a Zach Brown Band Concert a few summers ago....I can now say that I am a fan. Does that make old? I think it may.
4. My music will never be on the oldies radio station
I never thought "my" music would become the oldies. Then one day as I was rocking out in my mini van to TLC's "Creep" at full volume, I realized it was being played during the radio's noon retro hour. It's looking more like I am, in fact....old.
5. I will never read the Twilight series
I had stood strong by this statement. Then I spent two weeks in the hospital with Chad and Collin and needed a mindless, quick and easy read. 5 books and 4 movies (still need to watch the last one) later, I now officially belong to Team Edward.
6. I never and pregnancy
Starting and adding to our family wasn't an easy task for us. So when it finally happened the first time....I was elated to be pregnant with Mitchell and thought I would never do anything but love being pregnant. I love my boys. I am so thankful and blessed that I was able to carry them. But I did not love being pregnant. My mom used to have a coffee mug that said "I'd rather be 40 than pregnant. " I used to wonder why anyone would ever think that. I totally get it now.
7. Never and parenting
As my friend Amy posted, there are so many I will never statements I made about parenting before I actually became one. I'm sure I've now probably done 99%!!! Fits in the grocery store, separate meals for parents and kids, toys in the bed at bed time, have a child who hit another child at daycare, the list could go on to the point of parenting embarrassment.....I've come to be very careful when it comes to my kids, parenting and using the dangerous word....never.
8. I'd never be a runner
With the title of my blog....this one is obvious! Sure I've been running for several years now. But the fact that I am able to do this is still mind blowing to me. I used to HATE running. Truly and totally. I was slow. It was hard. I am anything but a small, athletic girl. The fact that I can train and run for a half marathon truly is a testament that you can do anything you put your mind to.
No comments:
Post a Comment