Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Running in the Kansas Heat

106.
That is today's projected high in Manhattan.  And what's tomorrow's high you ask?  107.  Yeah....

Needless to say the boys and I have spent lots of time at the pool in this heat!  But one thing is for sure, running in this heat and humidity takes on a life of it's own.

This year Chad and I will be running in Junction City again on the 4th of July doing the 5K race.  With highs similiar to the one's listed above and knowing what the heat index was when I ran outside this morning....I have no lofty ideas of obtaining a PR during this run. 

I continue to keep in mind that the summer heat and humidity means slower times/pace and that once the heat subsides and the humidity goes down, my legs will stop feeling like blocks of cement 1.5 miles into my run.  Training will start soon for my next half marathon and at the very least I will need to start increasing my distance for the upcoming Brew to Shoe in August.  The heat is on, but I am determined to keep running....even when it's 88 degrees at 8:45 a.m.

1 comment:

  1. YAY I will see you at the Freedom Run!! I am doing the 10k with no plans to PR. My only goal is to finish!!

    ReplyDelete