Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Memories

Yesterday we paid tribute to my wonderful Grandma Ammeter.  It was a celebration of her life and we rejoice knowing that she is in a better place and no longer in pain...but we will all miss her a great deal.
The one thing I do know for sure, is that Grandma loved us all being together.  And since we haven't had the chance for my siblings and cousins to be under one roof in over a year.....we made the most of the unexpected time together as a family!

Add caption

  
Below are some words that I wrote down and were shared during yesterday's service.

Memories of Grandma

In my life, I was blessed to have an amazing Grandmother named LaVonne Ammeter.  So many thoughts, memories and emotions come to mind when I think of her.  As I sat in church choir last night, I could hear her voice singing “Tell me the Story of Jesus” or “He Arose” as clear in my mind as if we had just been to Easter Sunrise Services at Summit earlier that day.  I know I can speak for all of her grandchildren when I say what wonderful childhood memories we share of Grandma.  For many of us, she was our first experience behind the wheel of a car and when we were little the only person who would allow us to have Fruity Pebbles as an 11:30 p.m. snack when we were supposed to be sleeping.  She played with us.  Tea parties.  Lighting firecrackers.  Board games. Coloring. Reading books.  Summer trips to the movies and journeys to the pool and park were just a few of the things that come to mind when I think of all the things she did with us.  Grandma gave us her time and undivided attention.  She loved us.  She listened to us.  And yes…..she even lectured us.  To know Grandma was to know a good sermon on why we WOULD be getting up for church that Sunday morning and that I was not the only one in the house who would require hot water for a shower.  Opinionated….perhaps an understatement.  But she loved us.  And it only took a few trips around with her to know that others shared that love for her as well.  I can clearly remember thinking for a period of time when I was younger that we must have been related to most of Marion County because everyone we met seemed to call her Grandma or Aunt LaVonne.  Grandma loved life and had a work ethic that didn’t quit. Her quilting, her cakes, fresh cookies cooling on newspapers in the kitchen, long stories of family and the past ,were all part of what made her such a special lady.  She didn’t know a stranger.  Everyone that she knew a got a hug and a kiss as a greeting.  She loved pictures and I loved hearing her tell all the stories that were behind them.  She loved music, was always singing and her devotion to her church and to the Lord was passed down to her children, grand children and now great grandchildren.  Grandma had a saying or one liner for just about any situation and you could always count on her to weigh in using one of her many catch phrases that I find myself using now as an adult.  You could always count on her honesty.  If you spent any amount of time with her you likely heard the phrase “well, there’s just this much about it” during a conversation she felt passionate about.  Flowers. She loved flowers!  And her earrings….who could forget all her crazy earrings?  She was larger than life in so many ways.  I could go on and on about Grandma.  But the one thing I am left with on this day as we celebrate her life is her love.  We all knew how much Grandma loved us and she knew the same.  It was never unsaid.    It was always so important to her that we always say good-bye, I love you a share and hug and kiss.  I sat next to Grandma on a trip to Hawaii when I was in college.  As we took off from LAX and watch the ground below us turn to ocean as we ascended into the clouds, she had tears in her eyes.  She looked at me and said “Your Grandpa always said, this must be what it looks like on the way to heaven.  I bet he is right.”  To this wonderful lady we say thank you for the talks, the time spent with us, the laughter, the memories and most of all, the love.  And since we all know her love for the Lord surpassed all else…..we know these great things live on in heaven where she has now joyfully rejoiced with Jesus and  reunited with Grandpa.  And some day, we will all stand and sing those same sweet hymns together as we did on East Sunday morning at Summit Church with her one day again.

No comments:

Post a Comment